Sunday, May 12, 2013

Review: Birchbox (May)


After last month's Women's Health magazine collaboration, Birchbox had it's work cut out for them. Although I always get really excited to open my box when it arrives, this month's curated goodies were a bit lackluster.

Like always, the box was filled with four items and a bonus gift. Unfortunately, none of the selections stood out to me. I've had such good luck with this subscription that a) this was bound to happen eventually, and b) this will do very little to sway me toward cancelling.

This month's theme was 'Beauty Diaries' and it focused on choosing products that matched your Birchbox profile. I haven't updated mine in a while, so that could be why I didn't end up with more of a customized selection. It was easy enough to go on and fix, so hopefully next time will be even better.

Check out this month's sneak peek video below before you see what came in my May Birchbox:

 
This month I got:
























My Reactions:
  • Beauty Protector - I straighten my hair at least once a week, so I'm always looking for something to protect it from the heat - there's nothing attractive about fried hair. I'm not crazy about it doubling as leave-in conditioner though. Sometimes I find that adding extra conditioner to my already conditioned hair makes it appear oily.
  • COOLA - With summer coming a product that has SPF in it is very practical. However, I feel like every box I get comes with some sort of moisturizer/lotion and they are starting to pile up. I like this it's organic, and the smell is nice too.
  • Joie - I am a big fan of perfume and this one screams summer. It's a little on the heavy side but has a great floral scent.
  • Sumita - This was my favorite item in the box. My one 'can't leave home without' product is definitely eyeliner. I love how easy it is to put on in the morning and how it makes my eyes look. I used to use black for both day and night, but I recently started wearing a chocolate brown during the day - it has a warming effect on my look. I'm actually pretty excited to test out this item.

**The bonus item this month or 'Birchbox Finds' was 'the new Acroball PureWhite hybrid ink pen' by Pilot. It came with a coupon for $1 off a pack, but honestly I have more pens then I'll ever be able to use up already. It came in a fun teal color and I'm sure I'll use it, but I wish it had the Birchbox logo on it.

I'm already looking forward to seeing what's in my June box. I'm leaving for a summer adventure in Los Angeles mid-month so hopefully it arrives before my trip, otherwise it's going to get buried in 2 months worth of mail and packages. If you don't see a review for it - you'll know why.

What did you think of this month's Birchbox? Was there anything you would have liked to see instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment