Friday, September 9, 2011

Extreme Couponing

Last night, I felt like I was on an episode of "Extreme Couponing."  Now I have to be honest and admit that I have never personally seen an episode of the show in its entirety, but I did catch the episode of "Chelsea Lately" when she made fun of the show in her opening monologue, so I feel like I got the jist of it.  And coincidentally enough, just this past weekend I was dining at the lovely Tastings Wine Bar in Indianapolis when a discussion about the show came up.

In an effort to bribe myself to go on a late night gym run, I headed first to Kohls.  Until recently, the word 'Kohls' probably would not have exited my lips, but I have been quite taken with their LC Lauren Conrad Collection.  I perused the racks until I found a few cute items and proceeded to the dressing room, much to my chagrin, but trying on items saves time in the long run.  I eliminated everything but an adorable floral number* and headed to the cash register, where the following extreme couponing style events unfolded.

1.  I checked to see if they price matched.  I had seen the dress (originally $64) at another area Kohl's on clearance for $18 (in the wrong size), whereas this store had it marked $24.  Yes, I said on clearance.  We are in a recession.  They do not normally price match, something about each store marking down based on their individual sales, however, they were nice enough to make an exception.  Score.

2.  I had a coupon for 20% that I was frugal enough to print out, which brought the subtotal down to somewhere around $14.   Planning ahead.

3.  Finally, I hit them with my $10 Kohls Cash.  Bringing the grand total with tax to something like $6.34. Like a ninja.

Not a bad day on the market.  And I got in a great cardio workout at the gym afterwards.  Que sera, sera.         

*I had my eye on this dress since I first caught a glimpse sometime mid-July, the only problem was the price, $64 is a steal if you a) make more money than I do, and b) actually have a reason to buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment