Sunday, September 11, 2011

"To Lose Youself is the Greatest Tragedy of All"

I have a dear friend who told me that you should follow your dreams, no matter how much they hurt, and I am inclined to agree.  There are bookstores (somewhere still I imagine) that carry an endless supply of guides and how-to's on life - everything from dating to career to raising kids to handling grief.  Nowhere on those shelves will it tell you that life should hurt, and not in any one way, but in every way.

There's an old saying, I'm sure you've all heard or read from time to time, that nothing worth having comes easy.  I think that person was dead on.  The hardest part is running with it, taking that pain and turning it around, hiding it from the world and even yourself at times, and continuing to chase your dreams.  Regrets are only for people that don't put everything that have into everything they want - until the very end.

There's another cliche that I find appealing, it takes on various forms, but the jist of it is: "knowing when to walk away is not the same as giving up."  You can only fight for something for so long before it is no longer the good fight, until it become deluded and chalked with ill intention.  Life is meant to challenge you, to take you to all kinds of wonderfully painful places and leave you breadcrumbs until you find you way to happy.

I'd rather be a silly girl that chases dreams, than a stupid girl who never tries. 

  

Thank you for reminding me that I'm still alive.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment